<

10/03/2005

Cycling Vacation Update

Hello All. Back in town from California -- what a trip! Trek Travel has outdone itself yet again! Please pardon my inability to not sound like a commercial, but the cycling was amazing. If you are inclined to try it, GO FOR IT!

Thursday 9/29/05
Arrived in SF. Immediately checked the luggage, and walked around the city. We walked up and down so many steep hills, I had shin splints! Headed down to Fisherman's Wharf and had lunch at Scoma's (excellent seafood in the heart of the Wharf.) We explored Chinatown, Girahdelli Square, Golden Gate Park, and Pier 39.














Friday 9/30/05
We met up with our group (20 people) and one of our guides, Brynn, and headed to Sonoma County to a winery called Clos Pegase. We had lunch, and then headed out for a 30 mile ride. The 30 miles was tough for me, because I haven't ridden more than 20 this summer, and the weather was about 85 degrees, and sunny. There was a killer climb within the first 4 miles, and I was struggling up it. But I eventually made it to our destination: Madrona Manor in Healdsburg.

We stayed here, in the Carriage House. Madrona Manor is a beautiful Victorian Inn, with awesome gardens.














Saturday 10/1/05
Got up early to grab some coffee and get my caffeine fix for the morning. Walked around the grounds, and enjoyed the quiet. I biked 30 miles again today, and most of the group met up and White Oak Winery for lunch. After lunch, some of the hard core cyclists (see photo below) went for an additional 20 or so. Unfortunately, I bagged the second leg. Although, I have to say my guilt got the best of me, and later that afternoon, I went for a 5 mile run, that took me about 45 minutes.













That evening, we went for a nice meal at the Martin Family Vineyards. It was a fun and relaxing evening.













Sunday 10/2/05
We woke up early and skipped breakfast to get on the bikes and go! We got ready and got out on the road by 8 a.m. We went for a short 20 mile ride over some nice rolling hills. No climbing :), and that made me happy. The weather was sunny, but noticeably cooler. After the ride, it was pretty much time to pack up, say good-bye, and head for the airport. We took the red-eye home (ugh), and I took the train from the airport right to work. What a day. All in all, it was a great trip. Can't wait to choose my next one...Maybe the triathlon specific trip with Tim DeBoom in Santa Barbara? Anyone interested?

3 Comments:

Blogger D said...

Sounds like you had a blast! Great photos!

8:13 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Thanks for sharing all the great photos, that trip looks like a blast! The hotel was so beautiful. I'd love to do something like that someday. Enjoy the great weather!

9:55 PM  
Blogger :) said...

Look at all the pretty bikes! Glad you had a good time!

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home