<

8/31/2006

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

I think you get the idea. Where the heck have I been, besides lurking around the blogosphere? Well, I have had a pretty busy August - started a new job at the end of July, so I have been trying to get adjusted to my new surroundings there. I haven't posted about it, because I am still in that stage of figuring out whether or not this was the right move to make. I was at my old job for over 3 years, and even though I had my low points, I really do miss a lot of the people I left. When I took this current job, I also pretty much said "no" to another job that was in my pipeline, that was more in line with my personality, but me getting it was not a sure thing. (Hence my rambling archived posts about what to do with my life. ;) )
Ah, another turn at the proverbial fork in the road of life. Wonder where this one will lead...

And now, for what you are REALLY interested in...have I been training? have I been running? swimming? biking?

Well, I have been running a little. Sadly, another low mileage month, but I am looking forward to getting that up in September. However, I have been swimming a fair amount. I took the plunge in early August and joined the Ohio Masters Swimming. They hold regular workouts throughout the week, all coached, and it's pretty great. In the summer, they swim in a 50 meter pool, which I haven't had the chance to do in a long time, as my "home natatorium" is only a 25 yard pool. Let me tell you, that first practice, I was like "where's the freakin' wall???" It's getting tough, now, because we practice at 7:30 p.m., and it starts to get dark, and there aren't lights in the bottom of the pool. I don't like the fact that it seems really CHILLY these days in Northeast Ohio. I know that Labor Day is this weekend, but I am just not ready to say hello autumn.

I also finished my likely last triathlon of the season. Unfortunately, I didn't really end it on a good note. It was on the 27th, the Lorain Sprint Tri. I finished in 1:40 - SLOW! The conditions were less than ideal. It rained during the entire bike, and for someone like me, that can be devastating. I was just feeling really burned out on racing, I think. All the swimming I have been doing really tired me out, and mentally, my mind was not in the race. I walked out of the lake up to T1, and actually contemplated not finishing. Not because I was hurt or I had bike problems, but because I just didn't want to. But I forced myself to get on the bike and motor through the best I could. But it was raining pretty much the whole time, my shoes were soaked, and I just wasn't having fun. (I know you guys probably want to know if I want some cheese with my whine, but bear with me.) Anyway, I think that was my last tri of the season. Overall, I am happy with my performance - I did my first Olympic, and I PR'd my sprint tri time.

For now, I want to focus on swimming with my Master's team, and getting my running back in shape. I am also starting to look at next year's marathon calender to see what looks good. I am thinking of doing a fall one, possibly a trail marathon, and hopefully in a place that will double as a vacation spot, too. I will be sure to keep you posted on what I come up with.

Sorry for the short-shrifted post on what I have been up to for the last month, but I am out the door to swim practice, but I wanted to do a quick post to let you all know I was alive...

I hope everyone has a fun, relaxing and safe Labor Day!

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Buckeye,

Nice to hear you are alive and well. I hope the job turns out to be a good thing and I totally empathize with you on the racing. I am looking forward to the fall and a return to the chalkboard to figure out where to go from here. Have fun with the swimming.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Neese said...

people really do make work a good place to be... surround yourself with good people... sounds like you've done that on the masters swim team.

thanks for checking in! :-)

7:38 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Hey! I hope the new job works out well, I know the old one wasn't the best for you.

Have a great Labor Day weekend and keep us up to date on what you're up to!

8:41 PM  
Blogger qcmier said...

I am sure the new job will turn out okay. Yeah the weather last Sunday sucked. Glad I wasn't racing in that crap. You did good just being out there.

Any road races coming up for you? Hope to run in to you somewhere sometime.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Wow, lots of changes! Hope that new job works out. I would love to swim with ya sometime since you're such a fish :) Maybe some of that could rub off on me!

Good to see you back and thanks for your supportive comments! :)

2:38 PM  
Blogger Jennifer P said...

Glad to have you back! Our masters swim season is 1/2 short course, 1/2 long course. I much prefer the 50m pool.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hey nice to hear you are alive and kicking! Sounds like you are busy busy busy though- that's a good thing right!?
Glad to hear that you toughed it out for a finish in the Oly race- the tough races make you stronger!

12:56 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

I hope things are going well with the new job?

4:31 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Man, I don't blame you for not posting much recently. It's always such a busy time when you start a new job.

Hmn, you are in Seattle, I believe. So that means you must have left Microsoft for Boeing (or vice-versa).

10:17 PM  
Blogger D said...

Where are you?

3:44 PM  
Blogger D said...

Hmmmm....no update yet?

2:28 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Ah yes, Ben Stein. Is there any better impersonator of a high school teacher? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home