<

2/11/2006

Spinning

Spinning class was much better this week. We had a different instructor who actually had a workout in mind for us, and she played some great tunes. After stretching (our instructor last week neglected to do this) and warming up, we did hill repeats, this is when you increase the resistance to mimic going uphill, and then decrease resistance to mimic the downhill. This was tough, because our uphills consisted of seated climbs and standing climbs. Then we did loops of uphill and downhill portions, running, which is when get out of the saddle and "run," jumps, when you get up and sit back down quickly, while pedaling at a moderate resistance, and then we finished with some sprinting.
(I hope that my descriptions are accurate - I am not an instructor, just an observer.)

In any event, I think these workouts are key for me, because just getting me in the saddle is a good thing. I decided to take the rest of the day off, which I debated, because the weather wasn't too bad this afternoon. I almost squeaked my long run in this afternoon, but decided to save it for tomorrow. I would also love to get in the pool for a swim, but my neck is still sore, so I don't know if I want to push it just yet. We'll see how tomorrow shapes up.

6 Comments:

Blogger Backofpack said...

Yikes! It makes me tired just reading it. I don't get it - is the "running" off the bike or is it something you are doing on the bike?

7:17 PM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Hi Backofpack! Sorry - I am not the best at describing, I guess!

The running is when you get up out of the seat, lightly touch the handlebars (not leaning heavily on them) and "run" while on the bike. It is supposed to strengthen your legs, and it really gets your heartrate up!!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Bolder said...

i don't get the 'jumps' do you?

everytime an instructor asks us to get out of the saddle, and back in, and then out in these jumps... i just glare at them and stay in the saddle -- i'm a triathlete damnit not a kangaroo!

good vid, i've never heard of them, but i'm likin'!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Sounds like a great class! I am sooooooooo wishing I could run outside, but doc says no until it's warmer (stupid pneumonia--arg) so I have to do 1 1/2 on a DREADMILL tomorrow. Arg. Wish I could join you outside--it's really pretty with the snow and not too cold! Enjoy your run! :)

9:21 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Hope the neck is feeling better soon!! What a "pain"!

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhh spinning...glad your class was good. i'm being a bum and am not doing anything productive with my evening, despite that reading your post makes me want to go workout!

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home