<

4/29/2006

Twenty Miler. Check.

My twenty miler is over. Thank goodness. I was dreading it. I got up early this morning, and hit the door at 7:30 a.m. I just wanted to get going. I did an easy two mile warm-up in 21:09. The weather was perfect, cool and sunny, and I felt good. I dropped my running jacket off at my house before proceeding to my first 6 mile loop. I wore capri running pants, and a long sleeve tee, and was fine, temperature-wise. My first 6 mile loop felt fine, and I finished in 58:03. The second 6 mile loop felt ok, at first. I had water with me, and a vanilla Hammer gel. At the end of the second 6 miler, I started to feel a little nauseous. I think it may have been the Hammer gel! Last week's 14 miler I had a chocolate one, and it tasted awful, and made me feel sick. I thought vanilla might be better, but again, I felt nauseous after the gel. I finished the second loop in 1:05, and headed out for the last 6 mile loop. I got about a 1/2 mile in, and felt REALLY nauseous, like I was about to blow chunks any minute. I just started walking for about 5 minutes, and tried to get it under control. I alternated walking and shuffling for a while till the nausea passed. I figured I would have to walk the whole rest of the way if it didn't improve.

I did end up pushing through it, and at the end, felt ok. My last 6 mile loop took 1:11 minutes. My total watch time was 3:50 for the run, and that includes hydration/stretching breaks between each loop. I am glad that is over.

I finished my run in time to spend the afternoon with a friend that recently gave birth to a little boy, which was fun. Tonight, vegging out time, and movie rental night. On deck: The Constant Gardener.

Tomorrow is a swim session. I have been lax about getting in the water this last week, and need to get back in. I think I am going to do a pull workout to give my legs a rest. Hope everyone's weekend is going well!

15 Comments:

Blogger Neese said...

Hello from a former Clevelander -- i was browsing blogs and found yours... congrats on a good run today (despite the gel side effects :|) - and best of luck on the upcoming marathon!

happy running

8:49 PM  
Blogger qcmier said...

Great job on your run!!!

I have never liked Hammer gel. I prefer Carb-boom (apple cinnamon)

10:45 PM  
Blogger Trisaratops said...

WOO HOO! Way to make it through the 20 miler. It's all coasting from here, right? :) Hopefully at least!! Enjoy your swim!

10:53 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Way to go on the 20!! I can't do Gus, they make me sick! I swapped to Clif Bloks and SportsBeans, much better on the tummy!

10:57 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

The gel always makes me want to hurl. I've had to stick to liquids...I think it's a common complaint.

Fab run there girlie...makes my long runs look a little sad:)

5:58 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Everyone elses posts made me think of some ideas, but may be too late to train with them.

Clif blocks are great. I've been using them on my long runs also.

Water down the gels in a flask. I usually go half/half. You get the liquid to wash down the gel at the same time.

Legs wise it sounds like you are ready for Rite-Aid.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Way to go with your run. Oh how I dream of twenty milers....

7:18 AM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

way to tough out the 20 miler!!! Good job! Hope the pool workout went well

7:16 PM  
Blogger KBGee said...

Way to push through on your run inspite of your upset stomach. I've had similar experiences with the chocolate gels, but I've found that the fruit flavored ones are much easier to digest.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hopefully you get the fueling issues dialed in soon...nothing worse then having to deal with that on top of running LOOOOOOONG! We're all proud of you for sticking it out for the full twenty- congrats!:-)

9:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice job on the twenty miler and sticking with it desppite the nausea.

11:53 PM  
Blogger D said...

It is tough to work through nausea - but you did! Nice. So many people did a 20 miler this weekend!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Lucky number 7 said...

Great job on the 20miler!! Oh how I miss the long runs!! Have you tried a fruity gel (Hammer in raspberry?? Power gel in Strawberry?? I hate, despise vanilla and chocolate ones!! Yuck!! It helps to water it down!! what about banana or Endurox?? Good luck, you will find the right thing!!

8:34 PM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Thanks, guys for the helpful hints! I am working on a good solution...I have heard fig newtons, and gummy bears are good. I have 14 this weekend, so I'll be back at the drawing board!

6:25 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Do u take the gel in one shot? There are others recommend taking the gel a bit at a time. The rationale is that it doesn't shock your stomach with a sudden burst of carbs.

I still take the gel in one shot though b/c I am lazy and my stomach can handle it :D.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home