<

5/03/2006

How Fit Am I, Really?

This question has been on my mind lately. While I can swim, power through a long run, and stay upright on a bike, I still wonder...how fit am I? What prompted this question was my lame attempt last week to do a speed workout. I started out the door with good intentions. I was going to jog the mile up to the local high school track, and do some repeat 800s, just to see what kind of times I can post. Well, I got up to the track, and there was a "track meet" going on - all really little kids doing different track events. It was pretty chaotic, with a million little kids running around, and I knew there would be no track workout for me. So, I headed the mile back home. But on the way back, I would sprint to different landmarks. Like "fast as I can to that stop sign," and "fast as I can until the end of the street" stuff.

I almost passed out in my driveway, and my face was flushed for the rest of the night. Needless to say, although the marathon is in 3 weeks, I didn't feel very "fit." So I have been looking at how different military/government branches measure the fitness of their peeps. I found the fitness test that the FBI uses for their special agents here. I would like to give this a try and see how I score. I tried some pull-ups on the pull-up bar we have installed in our basement. I couldn't do one. Meh.

I have got to get some practice in, and then do this test. I will post my results, and then we can truly see how fit I am.

________

As for the running skirt. Let's just say I am not happy with it. I am not sure whether it was the brand, or the size, or the fact that I am not a girly girl. It was really *short* and the built-in underwear was really *tiny*. Way to tiny to even go out of the house in. I tried it for 5 on the treadmill last night. While I must say that I liked the fact that it didn't bunch between the legs, the underwear kept riding up in back, so I felt like that girl in the running skirt in Rae's 5/1/06 post. The size was a medium, which according to the measurements on the company's website, should have fit me, but they obviously run small. Anyway, looks like I will be sticking to the Nike tempo shorts.

__________

And in other news, my lower back has chosen to act up again. I woke up Monday morning to a low back spasm. My last one was in January - what is this gonna be - a regular occurrance? Ever since January I have been doing my back exercises, and stretching regularly, and now, again, my low back seizes up on me!! So, it's back to the muscle relaxant, heat therapy, and waiting. This time is not as bad as January, though. The discomfort is moderate, so I took off Monday, ran 5 on Tuesday, and ran 5 today. I had pain both days, but managed to run through it. I'll tell you one thing...this pain better make like a tree and leave well before the marathon, or else!!

Have a great rest of the week, everyone!

19 Comments:

Blogger mouse said...

I'm sure you're in awesome shape! I always freak out a few weeks before a marathon, thinking I'm not really prepared. I'm sure you're going to rock your 'thon, though...

thanks for the review of the skirt! I was thinking about picking one up from skirtsports, but they only have the larges and XLs in stock in the one I want. I too fit squarely into a M, according to their sizing. I just may give an L a try!

hope the back is feeling better soon!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

Pre-race jitters are just part of the deal. It never gets easier in that regard, no matter how much experience you have. That's what tells you the event is important.

P.S. Thanks for the old-school Chili Peppers!

12:18 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Easy to forget all the miles you've put in when the doubts creep in pre-race. Don't go to the dark side- You are fit and ready for 26.2!!

Hopefully you can squash that backpain...that is not fun..been there...make sure it's not related to tight hamstrings / glutes pulling down and aggravating your lower back!

1:12 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I'm sure you'll have a speedy recovery. Good thoughts coming your way!

BTW, I'd fail that physical test too!

2:22 AM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

sorry your back is acting up again.

I wonder the same thing about fitness. I can run 26 miles, I can ride a bike, I can swim fast, but I still get winded climbing 6 flights of stairs.

What's that about?

And don't worry I can barely do a push up let alone a pull up!

8:01 AM  
Blogger D said...

I'd definitely have to score all of my points on the situps and the run. I would score some on the pushups (although I haven't been diligently doing them lately) but I would score ZERO on the pullups.

Speed training takes practice. If you haven't been doing much of it - it can be discouraging. It also hurts and is TOUGH. I would suggest just adding very short intervals of speed during your training run and slow down so that you can recover properly after the interval.

You have been training hard - you are strong. Pushups and pullups are not good indicators of how strong you are running wise. I bet if you practiced pullups and pushups as much as you run, swim and bike - you'd be a pro.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Does sprinting really mean anything since you have been training your body to go long?

I would say you are fitter than the majority of people around you.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I don't like how the FBI give u negative score...:O..eek...that would be pretty bad if one's overall score is negative

12:11 PM  
Blogger L*I*S*A said...

Thanks for the great read. I found your blog doing a search on marathon training, as I'm in the process of doing just that for my first marathon in Chicago this year.

Thanks for the inspiration and keep up the great work!

Lisa :)

3:42 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Hope your back is feeling better soon!

Can you return your skirt? I have a pretty big rear end, so I'm worried about the sizing, too. It seems like they look the cutest on the super tall, stick thin girls.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Buckeye, let me tell you a little secret. Speed kills. Have a good weekend and I hope the back pain goes away.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

If you can do a marathon, I say you are fit enough.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Neese said...

You are one fit chick! just think how many people are *not* running a marathon!

I say pamper yourself from now until the marathon, an appointment at a spa, massage, pedicure, yoga, naps, dark chocolates

you deserve it!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

If you don't feel nauseous and so out of breath that you think you’re about to collapse after a speed session, it means you didn’t run it hard enough. Therefore no, you’re not unfit, but you did have a good workout. Well done, but don’t overdo it before the marathon.

6:43 AM  
Blogger qcmier said...

The skirt thing made me laugh. I had a semi fitted short that, umm, just that fit my fat butt.

Hope your back feels better.

8:57 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

When is the marathon? Hope your back improves before the event. I get lower backpain on and off but I'm not so good about doing all my exercises and stretches. However I have started a new regime and plan on sticking to it.

11:00 PM  
Blogger psbowe said...

Once you do a couple of speed workouts, you'll feel pretty good. I know what you mean, it's like if I don't do them for a while I feel the same way.

Hope the back improves.

btw-thanks for leaving such a warm comment during a difficult time.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Hollyfish said...

That test is crazy. I think I might be able to get one point - for the whole thing!! Wow. Sure makes me feel like I'm not in shape!!! I have a speed workout planned for this week...I'll report back...

1:05 PM  
Blogger Lucky number 7 said...

You know, I was thinking about getting a running skirt, but I am terrified of my junk making a grand appearance during a race!! Haahaa!!! Thanks for an honest opinion!! Good luck with the low back!! Hope it gets better soon!!

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home