<

5/10/2006

A Remembrance Of Things Past

Although I never made it through cover to cover, I lifted my subject line from Proust's classic book. It's appropriate, because today, I was digging through an old wallet, and found something I had completely forgotten about. It was an old photograph of a plaque containing the words "I have not yet begun to fight." I had taken the photo during a visit to the Naval Academy as a high school student. John Paul Jones is interred at the Academy Chapel, and his words impacted me greatly then. I carried that photo in my wallet for many years. Those words, their sentiment, resonated with me.

But somewhere between then and now, I forgot those words. I didn't think about those words at all during my training. I feel tired and listless this week. I don't feel like running, and when I do run, I feel like I am running on fumes. I can't wait for the marathon to be over. Hopefully finding this photo and remembering that I used to have a fighting spirit back in the day will get me through these next couple of weeks, and the 26.2 miles to come.

My back is feeling better. I managed 12, not 14, this past weekend, and this weekend is 8. I hope I can remain injury free and back-pain free for the rest of the month.

I spent the rest of the week catching up on everyone's races. Congrats, everyone - great job!

9 Comments:

Blogger qcmier said...

I hope your taper goes well, because the "fight" is coming soon. You'll do fine!!!

10:25 PM  
Blogger Lucky number 7 said...

To do the things you do, you have to be a fighter. You HAVE begun to fight, but maybe you are not fighting hard enough. Great quote, thanks!! You will make it through the marathon!! Take care of your back!!

9:24 AM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

I felt the same a few weeks out from Boston but by the end of taper all I wanted to do was run. I think the whole marathon build up makes the running tough and you forget why you are doing it in the first place. You are going to do great!

10:10 AM  
Blogger Papa Louie said...

Hopefully, you are keeping your core strengthened during your taper. I think it is of great benefit.

12:46 PM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Thanks for all the support!!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Has anyone actually read Remembrance of Things Past from cover to cover? It somehow manages to survive every book cull on the theory that someday I will have bragging rights for having read it.

I did, however, make it through all 1350 pages of the original Les Miserables which is my all time favourite, without equal.

Keep up the the fight Buckeye - I think you can, I think you can...

12:33 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Great quote!! I think the last few weeks of training are the worst. You're going to do great!!!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I hate the "training blahs"...I'm sure it will turn around during your taper...rest, recharge and hit that race hard!

12:39 AM  
Blogger psbowe said...

wish you lots of luck with the marathon, kick so major butts

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home