<

10/20/2005

Decisions Decisions

This week I have been thinking alot about running, swimming, and biking. Unfortunately, I haven't been doing any of those things. The weather near the shores of Lake Erie is cold, wet, and raw. Perfect for staying under the covers, which is what I have been doing most of the week. I am trying to get my race schedule (the big ones) in order for next year, and figuring out my training schedules, too. There are a lot of unanswered questions, though, and that is slowing down the decision-making process. I am trying to decide which marathon(s) and triathlon(s) to do next year.

For my prior marathons, I customized the Hal Higdon programs for myself. This time, I am thinking of trying the FIRST training plan as detailed in August's Runner's World (you only run 3 days a week, but there are more speed workouts and tempo runs than I am used to.) The only problem with this program is I will need to have access to a track, and once the snow starts, I will lose access to my local 400 meter track. So if I want to do the FIRST program, I might have to push my marathon to the fall (not sure if I want to wait that long, though.)

As for my triathlon season...Rae called me out on my delusions of possibly doing a half iron. ARGH!! The training programs I found are all around 18-21 weeks. If anything, I was thinking of doing the Greater Cleveland Half Iron Triathlon, usually held in August. I have to admit, the biking REALLY scares me. Lots and Lots of mileage. I am toying with the idea of really working on the swimming and running, and half-heartedly training on the bike, enough to just get me through a 56 mile bike ride. Not wise, I know, but I am only looking to finish, not finish fast.

I should probably do the Cleveland Olympic Triathlon in July. If I have trouble finishing that, I guess I can bag the GCT in August.

I will be sure to keep the RBFers updated on the finalization of my 2006 race season.

5 Comments:

Blogger E-Speed said...

Our friend did the half this year and enjoyed it, he did very well. It is definitely a consideration for me, but I must say I am partial to Chicago Olympic and want to race very well there. (doing a half IM two weeks before might not be bright) ;)

8:30 AM  
Blogger D said...

I have discussed that three day program w/my running pals. I just don't think it could work for me because it would kill me mentally {the doubts associated with not running at least 5 days a week.} If you do that program I'll be interested in your feedback during and after.

9:29 PM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

I agree with you, DGC. I'll keep you posted!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Rae said...

I'm starting to plan ahead for 2006 myself! I'd like to travel more next year and meet a lot of the people I only know through the RBF! You could always come down to Nashville for some races. There's a big half marathon in March and THE big half/full marathon in April (Country Music Marathon).

8:06 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Here I am, can't even swim a lap (25m pool) freestyle and going to do 1/2 IM next year. And there you are contemplating about the bike distance.

Biking is not that bad. 90 k is nothing. Swimming, however, well, unless u can teach a rock to swim, u can teach me :)

U gotta love the irony.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home