<

11/16/2005

Wednesday Whine

Well, folks, I ran on Tuesday, even though I said I wasn't going to. I just went for 3 miles...I couldn't resist! It was downright balmy last night. I was afraid that it would be one of my last t-shirt running days of the year, so I ran with sore calves. Good thing, too, because today it is COLD. Whoever nicknamed Chicago the "Windy City" never lived in Cleveland. It is only in the 40s or so, but the wind is so strong. I am glad I ran yesterday. And if you want to see something that is truly scary (at least for this non-skiier) check out the snowy picture on Jennifer P.'s blog. Brrrrrr. Glad I have a snowblower. Too bad my husband is the only one who knows how to use it!

As for today, I did stay off my feet, and went to the pool. A feat in and of itself, because I didn't leave the house until 7:30 p.m. My usual m.o. (if I don't work out in the morning) is to work out as soon as I get home from work. Otherwise, I turn into a couch potato. Or a blogaholic.

Due to the late nature of my trip to the pool, I did a quick 2000 yards. Consisting of:
Warm Up: 200 swim, 50 kick, 50 swim
500 swim, 400 pull
300 kick, 200 swim, 100 pull
200 easy warm down
This took me about a half hour. The one nice thing about going late is that I had the entire pool to myself. Pure bliss.

Here is the latest item that I had my handy husband do:

I've had this little shelf forever, hiding in the back of a closet. I had a fair amount of running hardware and marathon medals hiding in the back of another closet, so I put the two together!

Have a great rest of the week, people!

8 Comments:

Blogger Papa Tweet said...

First time at your blog, nice stuff. Sweet medal shelf too. Looks like a typical honey-do at my house. Nice work on the swim. I guess it's that time of year, cold runs and rides. Not cool.
Benny

12:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like the shelf as well. I wonder if I can get my wife to do that for me?

12:35 AM  
Blogger Bolder said...

2000 yards in a half-hour, what AM i doing wrong?

something tells me, you're gonna need another shelf... nice post.

3:01 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

First, Thanks for your post on my blog.
Second, about your soleus...The Stick is great to use on the legs but if you can find someone to help, the following massage technique will do more good than the Stick alone.

Lay down on your stomach. Bend your leg to 90 degrees. This will release the gastroc muscle so you can get to the soleus. Now you'll have to enlist your husband to help. Look at the diagram you posted and see where the soleus muscle is on both sides of the leg and under the gastroc. Husband: Flex your fingers (2 or 3 should be fine) and point them downward- You'll start at either sides of the knee. Run the fingers up along the soleus. You'll feel the gastroc being pushed out of the way and go back up again. Your fingers will slide under the gastroc and you should be able to better massage the soleus.

Another technique (still prone with your leg bent and foot flexed)is to hold the flexed foot with one hand and cup your other hand so the fingers glide down one side and the thumb glides down the opposite side. Run your hand from the side of the achilles tendon down to the side of the knee- along the soleus.

Husand, use a little lotion. Wife, shave your legs first. Ha!

3:38 PM  
Blogger D said...

Will your hubby make a shelf for me? LOL.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Great shelf, you have a TON of hardware!!! The one time I've been to Cleveland it was COLD! It was in mid-March about 8-9 years ago during Spring Break and it snowed on us outside of the RnR Hall of Fame (which we LOVED!). I remember thinking how crazy we were to head North instead of South that year!!

12:07 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

That's an impressive collection there on your shelf. I guess you just wanted to make us all really jealous?

12:28 PM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

good to see you were getting in good workouts this week! This weather has definitely put a damper on my wishes to go outside, but I will suck it up!

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home