<

1/08/2006

Goodbye Weekend (sniff), Hello Workweek

Well, here is a quick post to update you all on the rest of my weekend. I was so grouchy about how my workouts went, I almost didn't post. But you guys keep me honest, so here goes.
I did get into the pool on Saturday, and started doing Elizabeth and Curly Su's workout - I got 1900 yards in, and then, SNAP! Somehow, I pinched a nerve in my neck. I have done it before, usually it happens if I am blow-drying my hair, and I twist my neck funny. (I can't really hear an audible snap, I am just being dramatic. But I sure felt it.) I almost didn't finish the 500 I was in the middle of, but I finished, and got out of the pool. I was really bummed. I have no idea what I did, but I probably won't swim for a few days, at least until I get this crick out of my neck.

So today, it was pretty nice out - the sun came out later in the day, and temps were in the '40's. I went out for three miles, with my dog, and had every intention of going for another three once I dropped her back off at the house. But I didn't. I have no excuse, just that I didn't feel like it. Argh.

So to make up for measly workouts, I cleaned house, and went grocery shopping. While I try to keep my blog rant-free, I just wanted to share something that I consider a grocery shopping pet peeve. I always go through the self-checkout lane. My husband generally goes with me, and we make a good team. I scan, he bags. We're pretty quick, even though we generally but a lot of stuff. (We're big eaters.) Anyway, midway through checkout, I got annoyed when someone got behind me holding one item, and giving *me* an exasperated look, when the express lane is right next to us, and completely empty! I mean really - I have 500 items in my basket. Is this person really willing to wait until I have scanned and bagged all my items when they could be zipping through the express lane? And this person wasn't even reading a magazine! I mean, if you are going to mindlessly waste time, waiting for me to finish scanning and bagging, then at least they could catch up on some celebrity gossip. right?!

Anyway, enough ranting. I also wanted to mention that I saw a great program on OLN (Outdoor Life Network) this afternoon about Karen Smyers. She is really an incredible athlete, someone who personifies the old proverb "fall down seven times, get up eight." She survived, among other things, being hit by a truck while biking, thyroid cancer, a severed hamstring, miscarriage...she takes a licking and keeps on ticking. She is one amazing person.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

I love programs like that - nothing short of inspiring are they?

Sorry to hear about your neck. I sometimes do that too. Hope it doesn't keep you out of the pool very long.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Hey! Hope the neck feels better soon!

10:15 AM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

any kind of shopping is always an excercise in frustration for me. I would have turned around and told them the more irritated they got the slower I was gonna go ;)

Sorry your neck hurts. My lower back and neck have been bothering me for a week now and I have no clue what is up. Hopefully it will work itself out for you quickly!

11:13 AM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Thanks, guys! Now I think I'm in trouble, because my neck feels better, but now I'm having a lot of pain in my lower back. Don't know what is up - but I didn't even make it to the corner last night for my run!

7:20 AM  
Blogger Rae said...

Sorry about your 'pain in the neck', and now it sounds like your back, too? Maybe a couple of rest days will help.

People in the grocery store annoy me! Usually it's people huffing behind us in the normal lines instead of just going over to express!!!

Hope you feel better soon!

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home