<

12/30/2005

2000 Yd. TT


2006 is almost here, and I am trying to squeeze in some more workouts before we say "sayanora" to 2005. I ran a quick three yesterday, and today, I wanted to do a 2000 yard TT in the water. My total time was 31.56.97. I am not sure how accurate the time is, because I was timing myself. Since I wanted to catch my 200 splits, I had to stop after each 8 laps and hit my watch. Here is the breakdown:
200: 2.56.71
400: 3.07.49
600: 3.09.58
800: 3.17.98
1000: 3.09.97
1200: 3.15.10
1400: 3.16.97
1600: 3.23.26
1800: 3.14.42
2000: 3.05.49

Maybe I can trim that down in the coming year. Next time, I'll have to have someone sit and time me. It's scary that in high school, there were kids that could swim the 1650 in less than 20 minutes!

On to the Munich review. I didn't know it was close to 3 hours, so just buy a large buttered popcorn, and be prepared to sit. It is also pretty violent. The focus of the movie wasn't necessarily on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict; I found it to be more about how the protagonist and his band of assasins coped with the internal struggle their mission created. Considering the violent nature of what was depicted, Spielberg handled it well. Although there is no real closure in the end, (can there ever really be in a situation like this?), the message that violence only begets more violence is clear. A good movie, but if you are looking for lighthearted fare, I would recommend The Producers.

12 Comments:

Blogger Rae said...

Happy New Year!! Even thought we just had a MASSIVE new year's dinner I'm craving movie popcorn now. Yum!!

10:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the review. Have a Happy New Year!

1:41 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

That's some fast swimming times.

Munich...each side is basically doing the same thing. You kill me and I kill you attitude. Unlike war, there is set rules (ceasefire and what not). In terrorism, there are not rules. This in itself leads to the endless bloodshed and violence.

This is not a easy subject. It is very complicated. It is far easy for me to stand back and say let's not fight. I often ask myself this question, if I was in either side of the situation, would I react any differently?

Spielberg did a great job portraying the story. He just tells it how it is and let us figure out ourselves.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

That's some fast swimming times.

Munich...each side is basically doing the same thing. You kill me and I kill you attitude. Unlike war, there is set rules (ceasefire and what not). In terrorism, there are not rules. This in itself leads to the endless bloodshed and violence.

This is not a easy subject. It is very complicated. It is far easy for me to stand back and say let's not fight. I often ask myself this question, if I was in either side of the situation, would I react any differently?

Spielberg did a great job portraying the story. He just tells it how it is and let us figure out ourselves.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Papa Tweet said...

If I were there I'd operate the stop watch for ya. How does that time trial work in terms of effort. Is it an all out effort, sustainable effort, do you build with every rep? Looking at your times it looks like there is more to it. I'm just curious. I've never completed a swim TT so I don't know much about it. Take care
Benny

12:49 AM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Cliff - interesting points. I agree. Spielberg did do a good job on this one. I can't decide how I would react in that situation. I am lucky I am not faced with that dilemma.

8:07 AM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:07 AM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Hey Benny!
Regarding the effort on my "TT,"
I would say that swimmers who swim with a club, or high school/college team might use a TT for a chance to get a qualifying time, or go to an age group champs. Then the TT would be maximun effort, at a pace that you can maintain.
For me, I am just using it as a way to gauge my fitness level in the pool. I try keep consistent times for each interval (my pace), and consistent strokes per length.
I like to keep the intervals shorter, because I think I maintain my form better over the shorter distance.

9:06 AM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Bolder said...

ok, you would swim circles around me!

must.get.to.pool.and.drill

2:34 PM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

awesome pic!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I've just discovered your blog through a comment that you left on CJ's blog.

Great splits!

Looking forward to following your journey in 2006.

Jen

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home