<

2/16/2006

Ready To Dive Back In


I can't WAIT to get back in the water. It has been eleven days since the last time I was at the pool, and it has been hard. I could swim through my lower back pain last month, but there was no way I was getting in the pool with the cervical neck pain I had the past eleven days. I don't know what the heck caused it, (stress and crazy people at work, coupled with my poor posture could be it) but intensive rehab has helped. I have been taking an anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxant that seem to help. I have also been using heat therapy whenever possible, and I bought a special foam pillow to sleep on at night. Don't laugh, but I also bought a cervical collar that seemed to help realign my neck, and ease the discomfort. (Don't worry, I don't wear it out in public.)


When it comes to rehabbing injuries, I will buy anything, and try just about any remedy known to man.

I think the worst part about this injury was the mental aspect. I began to question whether my stroke mechanics were falling apart, and causing the problem. Gasp. I sincerely hope this is not the case. I have not changed anything about my stroke or training in the water. Frankly, my monthly yardage is not exceptionally high, so hopefully it is nothing related to my swim technique.

Anyway, I pretty much have full range of motion in my neck, and little to no discomfort. Tomorrow I hit the water for an easy workout. Will let you know if all systems are go.

I have been able to get in some good runs though. This week was 3 milers on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, with a 5 miler (52:03) on Wednesday. Tomorrow is swim, and Saturday is either spinning or the Chili Bowl Classic that Elizabeth is going to do. I would love to race it, but I also have a 10 miler this weekend, so we'll see if I feel up to running the race.

Tomorrow is Friday, thank goodness. We made it through another week, bloggers! Have a great Friday, and an even better weekend!!

8 Comments:

Blogger Trisaratops said...

Michael Phelps.

Sooooooooooo hot.

:) Hope your swim goes well tomorrow! Glad to hear the back is doing better. Wish I could be there at the Chili Bowl--I love that race. My mom is running it so I want to go see her! :)

9:45 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

Every time I see one of those neck braces I think of the old Brady Bunch episode with the guy who tried to sue the Bradys for injuries froma fender-bender. Remember?...the briefcase?...thrown on the floor?...

Maybe it's just me.

12:06 AM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Hah! I remember that episode!! Good one!

I always think of that guy in Office Space, Tom Smykowski, the guy who invented the Jump To Conclusions Map.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Hollyfish said...

Stress=neck pain for me. I'm glad to hear it's all feeling better. Enjoy your swim!! And I totally agree with Donald...that's EXACTLY what I thought of when I saw your neck brace picture. And it's because of that episode that I'm always really careful backing up in parking lots! Heh...you know you're a child of the 80s when...

9:20 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

YEah..is fri..i hope u get better soon.

2:28 PM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

I have to race chili bowl and do a 16 miler on Sunday! You should do it!

they are giving out gloves this year!

6:35 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

OMG, I can so relate to your comments about crazy people at work. I work for a couple of lawyers who just jumped on my last nerve all week. Funny how this blogging thing really helps to reduce the stress...

I Hope your swim goes well and that you enjoy your race.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Good luck with your swimming, and with the race if you decide to do it!

Have a great weekend!

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home