<

6/23/2006

Addicted to Speed

While I definitely wouldn't call myself speedy, and I really don't enjoy track workouts, I did another one this evening after my swim. After about a week, I got back in the pool this evening for 2000 yards done in 32 minutes. This is good, as I am shooting for less than 30 minutes in the 1.5 K in my first olympic tri this July. I know 1.5 K will be totally different out in the lake than in the pool -- what will I do without my trusty black line?? -- but hopefully I can keep it under 30 minutes. I will need to make up time, because I know my bike will be sinfully slow.

Anyway, back to the track workout. Still not doing much speed mileage, but to me, getting my heart rate racing and blood pounding in my head has to be good for me. I did a mile warm-up and then was schedule to do 4 x 800. What I actually did was 2 x 800 and 1 x 400.
800: 3:26
800: 3:39
400: 1:50
Not so fast compared to a lot of you speed demons, but I am hoping to make this a regular part of my workouts. Tomorrow is an easy swim, and then Sunday the half. Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

Oh, and while I am on the subject of my olympic tri coming up in a few weeks, I have a question for you more experienced tri-ers out there. I don't have a wet suit, and never used one in the sprints I have done. I wasn't planning on using one for the olympic tri, but is that a mistake? Do you all think I should, or will the difference be negligible? Any thoughts would be appreciated, and thanks in advance.

2 Comments:

Blogger Fe-lady said...

Are you swimming in Lake Erie? If it's warm I wouldn't bother with it...if they have wetsuit strippers and the water is chilly it may be to your advantage. I like swimming in one as it gives me comfort psychologically...and makes me a better (higher in the water swimmer)-it sounds as if you are an excellent swimmer tho, so it may just hold you up during transition! Good luck!

6:13 PM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

The water isn't too bad temp wise right now so you'll be fine. But if you want an advantage speed wise it does take off 2-4 minutes (in my experience) I wish it didn't because I don't like swimming in it.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home