<

6/20/2006

Speed Kills

I haven't forgotten my pledge about improving my fitness this year. It seems strange to say it this way, but now that the marathon is over, I feel like I can concentrate more on getting into better shape! To that end, I have started working on incorporating speed work into my regular running routine. Since the beginning of the month, I have done three speed workouts, focusing mostly on 300 meter sprints and mile and a half sprints. I am also working on my strength routines, doing push-ups and sit-ups. The speed work is really killer, and I haven't really noticed a difference yet, but everyone says it will work wonders. Here are my speed workouts for the month, so far. And remember, I am incorporating it slowly into my routine, so it may not seem like much, but I can sure feel it.
June 11:
300 m - 63 seconds
1.5 mile - 12:33 (1:52, 2:02, 2:10, 2:17, 2:11, 1:59)

June 14:
1 mile - 9:08
300 m - 65 seconds
300 m - 67 seconds
1.5 mile - 12:34 (1:53, 2:00, 2:11, 2:11, 2:13, 2:02)

June 20:
300 m - 65 seconds
300 m - 68 seconds
1.5 mile - 11:55 (1:47, 1:54, 2:00, 3:59 (for 2 laps), 2:15)
800 m - 3:47

The 300 meter sprints are really killing me. I pretty much just slog through them, and want to die at the end. I don't know why they hurt so much! The 1.5 mile isn't much better, but at least I feel like I can better spread my pain out over the splits. I want to start working more 800s and 100s into my workouts, too, but I think I am off to a good start. I have a half marathon this weekend, and that will help boost my monthly mileage, which has been low overall this month.

My swimming has been suffering this month. I haven't really been in the pool much, and that needs to get better, as does my biking. My first tri is fast approaching! Yikes!

Anyway, I hope that everyone's week is progressing smoothly. Have a great rest of the week!

11 Comments:

Blogger Trisaratops said...

I have a love-hate relationship with speedwork. It is not fun at the moment, but then I love the results! :) Keep it up--you rock! Love the new profile pic, BTW!

9:25 PM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

great job getting out onto the track! Pretty much anything under 400 meters is hard on me. I am long distance fast, not speedy fast and those 200s really kick my butt!

Hope your first tri goals well. I am with you on the pool. I am lucky if I make it once a week lately.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck on the half this weekend and the training for your upcoming tri as well. We know you can do it.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Most ppl want to go fast.b.ut not everyone wants to get fit.

I think this is what Gordo said. To a certain degree..if u get fit, u will go fast :)...but going fast, does not necessary mean u will be fit :D....

9:27 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

wow buckeye, lookin' good with the speedwork, and the pushups and situps! i hope the pushups and situps will leave me with jacked arms and abs one day! let's keep up the good work! :)

10:08 AM  
Blogger qcmier said...

Speed does kill. And it hurts because you're essentially cutting the amount of oxygen to your muscles. Track workouts are most effective when you incorporate the intervals to what you are training for. Example: I have no need to be doing 400 or even 800 repeats for my IM.

Good luck with the half marathon.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Buckeyerunner,

For short distance...i don't need to be worry about nutrition. But longer ones, if my stomach shuts down or run out of gas, it will be a long long long day :)

9:13 AM  
Blogger Neese said...

i've heard that thing about speedwork working wonders too, that's so great you are doing them! and a half this weekend! i will think of you during my 5k. Looking forward to *your* report!

p.s. any interest in running a 5k july 4th week? :) we'll be in ohio visiting my family.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Janet Edwards said...

Way to push throught the speedwork. Best of luck in your half-marathon!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Great job with the speed workouts! That's something I really need to add, too.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Good on you for incorporating speed work into your routine. I've read a few articles lately that preach quality over quantity. For example, this article suggests that all you need to do is 1 speedwork session, 1 tempo run and 1 long run per week. I'm currently following a similar 3 runs-a-week program, mixing in 2-3 days of swimming on my non-run days.

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home