<

1/04/2007

so... 1.5 miles

My work has a ‘fitness rebate’ of $150 if you get off you butt and do something in 2007. There are many different options about how to get the rebate and how to ‘log’ your physical activity. I chose to complete a 1.5 mile run…discuss it with a trainer…then repeat it in 12 weeks. Honestly, the reason I chose this as it looked a whole lot easier than logging into some website everyday and logging my activity over a 12 week period.

So I went to the track yesterday evening to bust out the 1.5 mile run. I did a one mile warm up with a few 100 meter tempo splits in there to get my heart rate up. I took a 2 minute break to drink, spit, and farmer blow my nose…then started the 6 laps. I ended up at 9:31…which works out roughly to a 6:15 pace. I know there are lots of people with serious speed out there where this is a warm up…but for me it wasn’t too bad. I haven’t been to the track in weeks so I know I can improve on this. My maximum aerobic threshold was calculated to be 57….which I have no clue at all what that number means! Does anyone? I googled around but couldn't find anything of value.

After the 1.5 miler, I did a 400 (1:32), 800 (3:08), 400 (1:32) and called it a day. If you are looking for a challenge, the 1.5 mile run was tough because you have to walk the fine line of pushing REALLY hard....but not flaming out before the end. It really is harder than you would think.

I am off to the pool tonight for a refreshing dip with the master swimming gang. I'll post the workout.


Just got back from the pool:

300 Swim
200 pull
200 breast/back
6X50@1:00
6X50@50
50 easy
50 swim with 15 second rest
50 choice with 15 second rest
100 swim with 15 second rest
100 choice with 15 second rest
200 Swim with 15 second rest
100 choice with 15 second rest
100 swim with 15 second rest
50 choice with 15 second rest
50 swim
12X25@30

If my math is right it is 2750. I cheated on a few of the swims by using a pull buoy as I was getting a cramp in my foot.

Mr. Buckeye

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nice time on the 1.5 miler. I would be happy with that time myself. It's definitely not an easy distance to push yourself on. I think I'll stick with 100 meter strides at the track tonight.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Happy New Year to the Buckeyes!

I'm with Rob- I'd be happy with that time too. 6:15 pace is QUICK!

12:24 AM  
Blogger sharon said...

I think you qualify for a $500.00 rebate!

7:03 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I wish I got $150 every time I ran 1.5 miles or swam 1000 meters. I'd have the mortgage paid off by now.

Is your pool a 25 yard pool or a 25 meter pool?

5:57 PM  
Blogger Fe-lady said...

I wish schools would have incentives for teachers to get more workouts in...we did have a "contest" over the holidays to weigh in before the holidays and then weigh in after...the person who came the closest to maintaining their weight or losing was put into a lottery for a day at "Canyon Ranch"-a fitness resort here in Tucson.
haven't heard who won yet!

10:39 AM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Joe....the pool is 25 yards...so yes I am that slow in the pool! In the summer it is a 50 meter pool which is a whole new ball game.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

buckeye,

To respond to your comment. The 3 hr in the trainer ain't bad as long as i have something good to watch. I love the Band of Brother series.

Don't quote me on this but i believe the maximum aerobic threshold is the point before your body goes anaerobic.

Everyone's aerobic threhsold is individualistic and changes during the season. I am guess, in theory, your thershold should be increasing during the season as your body become stronger and more efficient.

57 I assume is the HR. That seems to be on the low end. How did you measure it?

12:29 AM  
Blogger IronWaddler said...

Nice time on the 1.5.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Buckeye,

Thanks for the book. I will keep that in mind. I like All Quiet on the western Front.

Your threshold might be a bit too high. This is the tests that I've seen online that is quite reliable.
http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/determinezones.html

I haven't done it yet (my HRM died) but I will do so to determine my LT.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

We do a 50 meter pool in the summer too. What a whole different ball game! People with great turns suddenly move to the back of the pack and people with shitty turns go to the front.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home