<

1/13/2006

Riddle Me This, Batman

How long until a back injury makes like a tree, and leaves?

That's right, folks. STILL nursing that darn back thingy that I just can't get rid of! I did nothing on 1/10 and 1/11. By 1/12, I could feel my muscles practically melting away, and my lung capacity shrinking by the minute, so back injury be damned, I went and ran 3 miles, and swam 1750 yards.

My workouts were slow, and I could feel the pain in my lower back, but it was a managable discomfort, rather than a pain that I just couldn't tolerate. One thing I cannot do is standing back flys with 5 pound weights, or any other exercise or activity that requires me to lean forward very far and bend, like taking clothes out of the dryer, or bending over to put a towel on my just-washed hair.

But the running and swimming seem okay, as long as I go slow. So that's what it will be. I take my heating pad to work (therapy during the day), and still take Ibu like its going out of style. Hopefully this will get better, but it looks like I will start my marathon training on schedule, and still be able to cross-train, as well. Whew.

Happy TGIF! Have a great day everyone!

10 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

You broke your back and swam 1750 yards. My back is fine and I can barely swim half of that ;)

9:23 AM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

Hopefully your back ailments subside soon. Going to the doc?

2:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about the back pain. I hope it all goes away in time for your scheduled marathon training to begin.

5:32 PM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Thanks for the well-wishes, guys!

Elizabeth,
I don't think I'm going to the doc...I don't really have one, for one thing, and everyone I talked to that has had back issues says a doc would just give me pain killers and tell me to rest. Bah.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Be careful! Resting is terrible but make sure your cross training won't aggrev. it even more.

Have a great weekend!!

11:31 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I'm glad to hear that your back problem shouldn't stop you from starting your marathon program on time. But be careful and take it easy. Hoping you are having a great weekend !

4:52 AM  
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Hey! Hope you feel better soon...sounds like you are doing the right thing. Rest lots, workout easy, and hopefully things will be back to normal in no time!

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad things seem to be getting better...use common sense when training!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Bolder said...

i'm tryin' to work through my ITB challenges, so, i feel your frustration...

keep workin' the problem, and i'll see if i can get some answers out of Commisioner Gordon for you...

8:15 PM  
Blogger D said...

I like the title to your post! Funny. Sorry about your back issues. Be careful - you don't want to be sidelined as long as I was. Crossing my fingers for you.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home