<

2/02/2007

Let's play tag!

I got hit by triEric. I think it is so funny to hear all the funny bits that people have worked through in races. Here is mine from the Mr. Buckeye.

1. Describe a memory from your first triathlon ever

My first triathlon was the Huntington Beach sprint tri in 2002. This seems to be a popular one for first timers in Cleveland! I swam 2 times the week before the race, borrowed a bike from a friend and went at it. The 400 meter swim felt like 5 miles, the 12 mile bike felt like 50. I actually got a sore butt on the ride!

2. Describe a memory from your most recent triathlon
What a crappy day! Lorain Triathlon 2006. It POURRRRRRED rain and I ended up riding the bike course backwards! It was a character builder.

3. What's the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you in a tri?

My most embarrassing 'racing' moment happened at the end of Cleveland Marathon in 1998. This was pre race chip days. When the gun went off, I thought, I am going to start my watch when I cross the start line..which I did. When I was on the home stretch of the last 200 meters or so, I looked at my watch and it was at 3:58 and some change. I thought to myself "I have almost 2 minutes to get to the finish to break 4 hours...no problem." Of course not compensating for starting my watch late at the start. It is me and the finsh...no one in front of me. The announcer jumps on the mike and screams "He is going to try to make it in under 4 hours!" It was then that I actually saw the race clock and thought "oh @#$#" I only have 25 seconds!! So I kicked it into a full out sprint, the crowd cheered, the announcer "and he is NOT going to make it!!" followed by a collective awwwwwwe by the crowd. 4:00:02 The saga actually continued. As I walked down the race shoot, they had people there to tear the bottom of your race number off (old school remember). Well, I had thrown away my tee-shirt and was in just my running shorts. There was a woman sitting there who pulled the race number, well...she grabbed my shorts as well...and yanked my shorts to my ankles! So I was standing there nude and I tried to bend over to pull my shorts back up and I couldn't as I was too stiff (my legs that is). So the VERY apologetic woman helped me pull them up.

4. What's the most thrilling thing that's happened to you in a tri?

I have had a couple of epic finishes...where it is you, and another person, step for step REALLY pushing each other to the limit. Then after the finish, a good hand shake to the other race for the great competition. I wish I could say I have won all those dramatic finishes....but I haven't...but I love to get into the deul.

5. What is something you discovered about yourself by doing triathlons?

I never thought I would be able to swim..like a real swimmer...or bike..like a real biker. With commitment, it can happen!

6. What is The Big Goal that you're working towards?

I am going to do Celveland Marathon this spring followed by a HIM in June..my first.

6 Comments:

Blogger sharon said...

I wonder who was a deeper shade of red, you or the shorts yanking lady?

6:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Man, I am not sure who should be more embarrassed, you, or the lady who pulled your shorts down.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Lady pulling your shorts down..

funny ;).

11:53 AM  
Blogger Faithful Soles said...

Great post and great times in your races. I'm in Houston and I ran the Columbus Marathon in 2003, and I ran last summer on the tow path outside of Cleveland, very nice and beautiful areas. If you get a chance, please visit my running web site, Faithful Soles. I have a Running Blog Database on there and would love to have your blog linked it. I also have my own blog, but most of my information is on the main web site. Thanks and continued good luck in your training.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

#3 had me rolling!! I can picture the lady helping you pull up your shorts..OUCH!! I don't think anyone will top that one. ;-)

2:08 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Hehe, #3 is hilarious!

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home