<

2/28/2007

A run to forget....

Knowing that the treadmill miles I am racking up are not going to 'cut it' I was determined to get outside this past weekend for my long run. Some way or some how.

On Friday night, I did my bike/run routine with a friend of mine. We ride 15 minutes then run 15 minutes and repeat this 3 times. So, in total, you get 45 minutes of riding and 45 minutes of running. I decided this week to push the bike really hard and pushed a big gear...I really struggled through my last bike but got it done. On Saturday, my legs were quite tired from the biking.

In Cleveland we still have quite a bit of snow and most of the sidewalks are still covered but I was still determined to NOT do another long run on the dreadmill. My plan was to stick to the sub-divisions and run on the street. Being that it was Sunday AM, there was next to zero cars. As soon as I started the run, I could tell my legs were tired...and thought to myself....you are just getting warmed up...you will get loose. At mile 2, I could tell that the run was going to be difficult. My legs were quite tight and every step was work...there was no getting in the groove. I am thinking this had to be from the bike on Friday. I struggled through 16.5 miles feeling pretty much like crap the entire time. I was running slow at just over 8 minutes per mile. The last mile I was hurting and doing a shuffle just to get home. My normal routine would have been to do an extra 'lap' around my neighborhood to get to the 17 mile mark.....but I was happy to just to make it home. In hindsight, I should have cut the run short and done it another day.

I am hoping this run was just one of those off days and I will bounce back. My legs were crushed on Monday...REALLY sore..so sore I skipped my swim. I tried to go out on Tuesday and do some speed work but my legs were...and still are....quite sore. I bagged the speed work after 2 1000's. I think I am going to hit the pool today, rest my legs, and see what happens.

6 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

You have a lot of will power to be able to run for 16.5 miles while feeling like crap the entire time!

As for the skipping the swim because of sore legs, have you tried using a pull buoy? Pulling is a great way to get in a workout when you have really sore legs. Your arms do all the work.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

> I know it is crazy..but
> I pull faster than I swim?

That's actually fairly common, especially for people with strong shoulders and inflexible ankles (like me). For short distances, I swim faster than I pull but for long distances, I probably pull faster or at least the same speed.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Impressive. 16.5 miles with tight legs is nothing to sneeze at. Some days I don't feel like doing 16.5 on the mountain bike when my legs aren't feeling up to snuff. Way to dig deep and get the run in despite the fatigue and tightness.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You were still able to keep a decent pace for the 16.5 miles so that is a good sign. I hope the snow clears away so you can get outside for more runs.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Not sure if everyone is flying around your parts but an 8min pace isn't slow - At least not in my book!

Solid run there when you weren't "feeling it"..way to get in the mileage.

Re: the soreness, swimming is actually a great way to get in some active recovery after a tough run. Something about that flutter kick seems to help BIG time...just my .02 cents!

2:40 AM  
Blogger Fe-lady said...

ICE bath!!!! (really!) It will work wonders...or maybe a dip in Lake Erie would do the trick...
I jumped into a 50 degree pool and made myself stay in for fifteen min. and it greatly reduced soreness after my last half marathon. Legs only-not upper body!

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home