<

3/21/2007

I'm back...sort of

Well, my running is starting to come back. I am getting the miles in but I need to work on my speed. Two weeks ago I did 18.5 miles at a 8:24 place and then this past weekend I did 20 at 8:32 pace. The good news is that the 18.5 was pretty easy....the 20 was not too bad...the last 3 miles went a bit slow (near 9 pace) as I was getting pretty tired.

I ran 7 last night. The first 2 miles were slow with the dog then I did 5 at 7:18 pace. I plan on hitting the track friday for some 800's. I need to hit the track more and work on my speed.

The good news is that I have bounced back from the funk I was in and feel like I can work up to training hard. I still feel like I have a long way to go to be in marathon shape...but I am on my way.

I have been pretty good about hitting the pool as well. I swam Monday after doing 20 miles on Sunday....I was glad I did it as it worked some of the lead out of my legs but it was tough. I was getting a bit crampy (in my feet) by the end. I am sure it is just a bit of a 'hangover' from the long run. I will be back to the pool tonight.

The masters coach spent some time on my mechanics...basically being long and watching my reach. As I get tired, I tend to have my arms crossing in front of me instead of going straight out. I noticed a big difference. Going to try to concentrate on that tonight.

Thanks for helping me work thru this!

8 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Welcome back.

> I need to work on my speed

You could have fooled me. Your training paces are pretty quick!

6:16 PM  
Blogger Ross said...

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? Tired and overtrained?

7:53 PM  
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Hey!! Good to see you Monday night! Hopefully I will head back, perhaps next year?

Give your wife a big hug for me! I may need to hit her up for some advice...ha ha! :)

8:52 PM  
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Ross,

Not sure...my current thinking is that I did all my training for about 6 weeks on a dreadmill, then popped outside for a 17 miler...and over did it. Then proceeded to not rest up enough to recover....ie being dumb

9:37 PM  
Blogger D said...

Wow - you are running your long runs so well! That looks like speed to me. If you maintained that pace through the marathon, wouldn't that qualify you for Boston? If you are not in "marathon shape" yet, you are certainly close. Welcome back. I've missed you!

8:48 PM  
Blogger i am Susan said...

You know what Buckeye---you motivate me with your running. I want to become a good runner one day---baby steps first---right now I am at 10 minute miles, but one day---hopefully not too far--away I'll manage to get those 8 min miles.

9:17 AM  
Blogger qcmier said...

Glad to hear you're back.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So glad to see you back and feeling better. I think everyone goes through "funks" from time to time. You just have to get through them as best you can. I think you trudged on through it with as much grace and aplomb as can be expected.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home