<

3/07/2007

Not sure what is wrong?

Well, 2 weeks ago, I had a crappy 16.5 mile run where I was hurtin' the whole time. I took it pretty easy during the week to give my tired/sore legs a rest. So this Sunday, I was planning on running 18. My thinking was run it nice and slow to see how you feel. I ran at 8:30 pace and my legs still felt very heavy and tight. I ended up stopping at mile 10. If I would have pushed through, I would have been in the same boat as last week and be crushed at the end. I figured I would stop before I did major damage.

WTH? I have never felt like this on my long runs before. I have never struggled like this. Last night I went out to do an easy 5 miles and stopped after 3 with the dog as my legs were still very tight! I have had bad runs before, but I can bounce back the next time and feel fine. This is a 2 week stretch where my running has been terrible...my legs feel like they are swollen and tired..

Cleveland Marathon is on May 20th, I am officially behind on my traning schedule and I am starting to think it isn't going to happen if I can't get out of this funk. Maybe I should just focus on the HIM in June.

Sorry for the complaining...just venting my frustration of being in this rut....and not sure why. The only thing I am thinking is that I put in alot of miles on the treadmill and these did absolutely nothing to translate to 'real' outside miles? Even as I sit here, with a measly 3 mile run last night, my legs are sore!!!!

Going to hit the pool tonight with the masters group.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe just give yourself a break from the running for a bit. Cross train and see how the legs feel. Try using an elliptical and see how the legs feel. Did the swim make your legs feel heavy and tired?

2:20 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

My suggestion is more swimming and less running for the next couple of weeks. If you run, avoid speedwork and keep your mileage low. You may also want to find some physiotherapy exercises for whatever joint or muscle is ailing you when you run. Don't be afraid to cancel the marathon. There's always another one.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Not sure I have any good advice for you, but I hope you get it worked out and do not have to cancel the marathon. It all depends on your goals and what you expect come race day. Good luck!

8:11 PM  
Blogger D said...

The most important thing is to avoid injury. Take a short break or at least ease up a bit on the running. If you have specific goals in mind for the marathon, maybe look for a June or July marathon instead of the May marathon. This way, you can take some pressure off of yourself, figure out what is going on and get some better mileage and training run under your belt to be better prepared for your marathon. Just some thoughts. Hope everything else is going well.

12:42 PM  
Blogger sharon said...

Ditto all the above plus add massage. If you don't already have a good massage therapist, ask around with your running/swimming buddies. Make sure you get one that is good at sports/deep tissue work. Sounds like you're pretty bad off, so plan on needing one/week for about 3 weeks. Trust me on this, it's worth every penny.

7:21 PM  
Blogger qcmier said...

Hmm, where does it hurt?

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home