<

5/12/2007

Brick by Brick

So I thought I would do a quick post of what I have been up to. On Wednesday I swam with the masters group. I think it was around a 2500 or so. On Thursday I ran 6 at a 7:28 pace with a avg heart rate of 154.....which is a little higher than I would have liked but I I didn't feel too bad. Friday I took the day off as I knew I had a brick to do on Saturday.

Today I went out for a brick. I rode 56 and followed it up with a 4 mile run. My goal was to have a nice easy ride and work on my nutrition. I had a profile designs water bottle on my aerobars with gaterade and 2 water water bottles on the bike with a custom blend from Infinit Nutrition. This was my first try with Infinit so I did not know what to expect...really liked it The first half of the bike was really nice as I had the wind at my back....I would have preferred it in my face to start but what can you do. I was flying on the way out but knew I was going to pay dearly for it on the way back. The flags were standing straight out...the wind was 25 mph. ugh. I tried to eat something every 30 minutes and drink something every 15 minutes. It was only 60 degrees here today so I was not sweating all that much. I ate 2 goo's, 1 oatmeal pie and 4 cliff blocks. The stomach and calories seemed pretty good...although I am sure I will continue to tinker with it.


As expected, the trip back home was rather slow. I felt like I was going to come to a stop during some of the gusts. I ended up with an 18.5 avg (134 bpm avg) which wasn't too bad given the conditions and the 6 stop lights I got stopped at.....and I did not feel like I worked all that hard. I spent most of the ride on my aerobars. The only thing that was getting sore was my neck...maybe I need to look at getting a lighter helmet. I can still feel it now.

One complaint...I HATE my Profile Designs water bottle. I got a gatorade shower at every bump I hit in the first 5 miles. I chugged down half the bottle just so it would stop splashing me. I have the little sponge in there...but it did not seem to help all that much...any suggestions here? I need to figure something out as this was driving me crazy.

While I am asking for tips....does anyone have any suggestions on help with 'chaffing?' I always seem to get it. Today I put a sizable glob of Vaseline and moisturizer im my nether region but still got a bit of a rub.

When I got home, my 'transition time' to the run was 3:43 and I was off and running. I felt really good. I did 4 miles at 7:56 pace with a 144 bpm average. My goal was to keep the heart rate low and keep the effort in the 'comfortable' range. I felt better as the run went on.

That's all I gots.

A short update...this AM (Sunday) I went for a 10 mile run. I did an 8:21 pace and an avg heart rate of 142. The legs were a little bit sluggish and tired...but I got through the run without any issues. I kept the effort pretty easy.

6 Comments:

Blogger Trisaratops said...

I always got splashed, too...until someone told me to take OUT the yellow sponge that's all neatly rolled up, UNROLL IT, and stuff it back in. Then you can just squeeze your straw in there anyway you can.

Brilliant!

For chafing, have you tried Chamois Butt'R? I had good luck with that.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Trisara beat me to it on both counts there! Excellent advice...I'd also suggest Assos Chamois cream. I used Chamois Butt'r until I got my hands on the Assos...GREAT stuff.

Solid training there..I can relate on the wind...headwinds are demoralizing aren't they!? Keep chopping out there!

12:10 AM  
Blogger qcmier said...

I tend to like smaller pads in the shorts. And it always seems like there's someone around who will share their chamois but'r

8:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice job on the workouts. I use body glide, but I am not sure that it is the best thing to use. I still have problems with chafing so I guess it's not any better than vaseline. Good luck finding something that works.

7:40 PM  
Blogger momo said...

i use body glide too. it helps a LOT. i put it everyhere!! ;-)

and i can't figure out that bottle thing either, i finally stopped putting anything but water into it because otherwise i ended up wearing it. i'll have to try that sponge tip!

12:04 PM  
Blogger FunFitandHappy said...

Same as Momo, I only use water in my aero bottle now....The sponge seems to help the most if I lhave it sticking up quite a bit, although I've had it fall out a few times hitting bumps....

Have you tried bodyglide?

Andy
http://1happyathlete.blogspot.com

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home