<

5/16/2007

Plowing along.

After the weekend workouts, my legs were pretty tired on Monday. I felt like taking a day off but decided to go to masters swimming in the evening. There were a few other triatheletes there that wanted to do a long swim workout and not the workout that was posted by the coach...so I thought I would give it a whirl. We did a 300 warmup and then 3 sets of 12 minute swims as far as you coudl go. We did 725, 725 and 700 on the last set.....which translates to 1:39/100 and 1:42/100 which I was pretty happy with. 7 months ago I could not swim a 2:15 100...so I feel like I have come a long way.

The 3 of us that swam together were almost the exact same speed. I lead the first and third set and was #2 in the second set. I never realized what a HUGE difference drafting in swimming makes. The second set was like a stroll in the park. I was not working at all and was trying to keep from grabbing the feet of the person in front of me. When I lead the sets, it felt like work the entire time...

Yesterday I was supposed to go to the track and do a workout but could tell my legs were not up fo it at all....like not even a possibility. I ended up going for a 6 mile run at an 8:15 pace with a 142 bpm average. I ran the first 3 miles at 7:55 then slowed it down for the last 3 as I was getting a bit of a tight hamstring and really felt like I was overdoing it. I think I am going to try to hit it hard this weekend then have a recovery week with only light workouts next week.

I plan on going to masters swimming tonight then hopefully a ride tomorrow.

5 Comments:

Blogger momo said...

good job listening to your body and adapting the workouts. i tend to ignore those little signals and that is not smart.

oh, and i love drafting in the pool!!!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Yeah...drafting makes a huge difference in swimming. My goal for every tri swim is to find a pair of feet that is just a bit faster than me that i can follow. Just have to amke sure that pair of feet is swimming straight :0

11:54 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Drafting is amazing isn't it? I, always find it funny during racing that almost everytime I THINK the person I'm drafting off of is going too slow because I can barely keep from swimming over them, I AM WRONG!
When I go for the pass and my effort level immediately goes thru the roof and I have to tuck right back in!

12:02 AM  
Blogger Tea said...

There's hope for my swimming! It sounds like I am right where you were several months ago.

It's great to see the improvement over time.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Brady said...

Dear Buckeye Runner,

Your blog clearly shows that you are an enthusiastic running fan, so I thought you should know about the World Championship Sports Network (WCSN). We provide coverage of Olympic and lifestyle sports, and our track and field site (www.wcsn.com/trackandfield) has become a premiere destination for track and field fans all over the world.

We will be broadcasting a lot of the IAAF Track and Field meets, and we are trying to reach out to passionate and knowledgeable track and field fans to let them know they can watch these events on our website, as well as view past meets on-demand, check out photos, get the latest news, and much more. We would like to offer you an FREE WCSN account so that you don’t miss any of the action, and can get excited and help promote our coverage of the World Championships in Athletics, the World Youth Championships, and much more.

Upcoming Track and Field Events:

IAAF Grand Prix 6/8/07 Lille, FRA
IAAF Grand Prix 6/10/07 Bydgosczc, POL
IAAF Odlozila Memorial 6/13/07 Prague, CZE
IAAF Grand Prix 6/17/07 Warsaw, POL
IAAF World Youth Championships 7/11/07-7/15/07 Ostrava, CZE
IAAF World Championships in Athletics 8/25/07-9/2/07 Osaka, JAP
IAAF World Athletics Final 9/22/07-9/23/07 Stuttgart, GER
IAAF Road Running World Championships 10/14/07 Udine, ITA

We also have a large archive of past events on-demand, such as the 2006 World Indoor Championships and the London Marathon. Please let me know if you would like a complimentary account and we will set it up right away. Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Brady Stevenson
World Championship Sports Network
(310) 921-7008
bstevenson@wcsn.com
www.wcsn.com

Home of World Champions

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home